What Was Your Favorite Find of the Week?
Pippa and I have what we call our Monday-morning Brain Storming Session. We call each other, discuss what we have going on that week, talk about any new fashion trends we’ve noticed, peruse through Pinterest, adding things to our shared boards, and then go to work shopping the thrift stores trying to make our ideas and inspirations come to life.
As we ended our last conversation we had to ask each other, “What was your favorite find of the week?”
This past week we spent an above average amount of time in a thrift store. With a couple of hours to fill before our scheduled segment with “Stretch Your Dollar,” for the Pink Elephant Sale, we drove over to a Family Thrift Center retail store with the simple purpose of finding some great deals to show you. (Check the blog tomorrow for our Fabulous Finds!)
Here is Jen’s favorite find: St. John vintage tone-on-tone, chevron print skirt and top set.
(found at the Family Thrift Retail Store 920 North Durham Drive)
Here is what makes this Jen’s favorite find. Jen found the skirt first, she knew it was high quality from the fabric but it did not have and tags in it so she left it (a fun fact, Jen has a strict high-end items only rule – it’s the only way she can keep her closet from overflowing). A few minutes later, while browsing through the tops, she came across the matching tank, that still had the vintage St. John tag attached. This knit is actually quite rare and not the typical St. John Collection knit. The pattern was very remiMISSONI. This entire set was $5.45.
Jen’s pick for “fab find of the week”
ST JOHN vintage knit top and skirt for $5.45
The neutral chevron is a very popular Missoni print
Missoni and Milly both show the “chevron” print
Here is Pippa’s favorite find: VINTAGE Croc Handbag
(found at Family Thrift Outlet Store on Little York)
Vintage Croc Handbag found for $2 at Family Thrift Outlet
This trend is all over the runways for 2014/2015
She picked this out because she liked the style and color, nothing indicated it was crocodile. After doing some research by the name “Sterling” she realized that is was a highly sought after croc purse. This is an item that continues to show up every few seasons as the “it-handbag!” She found this bag for $2.
Pippa and I, try to live by our “thrifting tips” and with of our fab finds this week we nailed #1-11. Here are our rules, sometimes we make an exception, but definitely great guidelines to follow!
- Don’t try to put together an outfit or you will get frustrated. Look for individual pieces and then try to build an outfit.
- Focus on dresses, jackets and skirts…this is where you normally get the most value for your money.
- Skip lower end brands such as Target, Forever 21 and Walmart.
- Pay attention to fabrics…avoid synthetics. Look for natural fibers such as silk, cotton and wool.
- You can usually find much better deals by “digging” than shopping from the boutique section of a thrift store.
- All thrift stores are not created equal.
- Look through Pinterest, magazines and fashion blogs to recreate trends.
- It doesn’t matter if you have 10 minutes or 2 hours, you can always find something you love!
- Pick an area of town and go to 3-4 thrift stores since they are often near each other.
- Hard Fast Rule: NEVER pay more than 10% of retail price, we try to pay 5% or even less.
- Be open to finding anything!
Do you have any advice or tips that we need to add to our list?
Do you follow any guidelines when you thrift shop?
What was your favorite find this week?
Be sure and follow us on Facebook HERE , we post new stuff daily!